Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Great Gatsby

I was lying in bed this morning for about an hour trying to figure out why in the world I'm an English major and what I was planning on doing with my life. Well, as it turns out, I have no clue what I want to do with my major since at the same time there are a million things I could do (journalism, PR, even marketing or advertisting, OR...I could just go to law school - they are always looking for humanities majors) and nothing I can do (besides teach, but I've already completely ruled that one out). On the plus side, I know that the reason I'm majoring in English is that I love to read (the thing that has kept me from posting anything in the last month - too many English classes at one time = having to read about 50 books at once). So I went back through my mental list of books I've read that have kept me going through the books that I've hated, and the first one I came up with was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. As it turns out, the 1974 movie (which I based all of these outfits on) is being remade and is set to release in 2012 with Leo DiCaprio as Gatsby (need I say more?) and Carey Mulligan as Daisy. I'm pretty excited. If you skimmed this book in high school (like I did with pretty much every Dickens book assigned), here's the basic plot line: Jay Gatsby is in love with Daisy, he goes away to war, and comes back to find that she's married into old money - Tom Buchanan. He then spends all his time remaking himself and becoming part of the nouveau riche in East Egg, living in a house like this ------>



Then he and Daisy have a thing but she won't leave her jerk of a husband. If I go any farther, there'll be some major spoilers, but it's a really good book. (Also, Jake, Reinvented by Gordon Korman is a modern young adult fiction book based on Great Gatsby which I like just as much, and probably takes less time to read.)








"A phrase began to beat in my ears with a sort of heady excitement: 'There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired.'"





Dress - Dorothy Perkins, Cardigan - Emily Temple, Necklace - Charm & Chain, Hat - Marks & Spencer, Shoes - Qupid





Pants - J. Crew, Blazer - J. Crew, Shirt - Jos A Bank, Tie - Jos A Bank, Shoes - Kenneth Cole, Hat - Kangol











"One thing's sure and nothing's surer. The rich get richer and the poor get - children."



Skirt - Ralph Lauren, Cardigan - Dorothy Perkins, Cami - People Tree, Shoes - Stuart Weitzman, Necklace - Rue 21, Hat - Juicy Couture



Pants - J. Crew, Cardigan - J. Crew, Shirt - J. Crew, Shoes - J. Crew

(I've found my new obsession.)










"It makes me sad because I've never seen such - such beautiful shirts before."





Dress - My Sugarland, Shoes - Dolce & Gabbana, Necklace - J. Crew, Earrings - CZC Pearl Blossom



Pants - Woolrich Woolen Mills, Shirt - Our Legacy, Shoes - Stacy Adams






And as a bonus...



Martini glass - Crate & Barrel, Picnic basket - Crate & Barrel, Blanket - JCJ Silver

No comments:

Post a Comment