Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Little Mermaid

Here's my last Disney movie for a while: The Little Mermaid (I have a pretty time consuming project I've decided on for the next one). Disney came out with its animated version of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale in 1989. This movie follows the same basic plot of every Disney movie: girl falls in love with boy, couple must face obstacle put in front of them by the evil villain, and in the end, SPOILER: the girl gets the prince. Now that I think about it, and since we just talked about this in my British Literature class, Disney movies tend to follow the typical marriage plot - the prince is handsome, the girl never has a job or any independence after the marriage, and the man is the provider in the relationship (except in the case of Aladdin; although, after he marries Jasmine he becomes a prince, the future sultan, and the only one with the power in the relationship). But I digress. The Little Mermaid follows basically the same plot, except the princess is a fish, and you know, she kind of needs to get rid of her tail in order to marry her true love.





"I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty/I have whoozits and whatzits galore/You want thingamabobs? I've got twenty/But who cares? No big deal/I want more" - Ariel




Dress - Julie Haus, Jacket - Talbots, Shoes - Balmain, Earrings - Belle Noel, Bracelets - Forever 21


Dress - ShopThreeDots, Jacket - Junya Watanabe, Shoes - Karen Millen, Earrings - Tacori, Necklace - Peacocks









"It looks just like him. It even has his eyes. 'Why, Eric, run away with you? This is all so - so sudden...'" - Ariel (to statue of Prince Eric)




Jeans - PRPS, Corset - Love Burlesque, Shirt - Fat Face, Shoes - ZARA, Headband - Juicy








"Up where they walk/Up where they run/Up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free/Wish I could be/Part of that world..." - Ariel






Shorts - Athe-Vanessa Bruno, Tank top - Alexander McQueen, Shoes - Xhilaration, Bracelet - Marina Fossati, Earrings - Aurelie Biedermann








"If you want to cross a bridge, my sweet/You've got to pay the toll/Take a gulp and take a breath and go ahead and sign the scroll!/Flotsam, Jetsam, now I've got her, boys/The boss is on a roll/This poor unfortunate soul!" - Ursula






Jeans - Twenty8Twelve, Blouse - Frida, Shoes - Christian Louboutin, Bracelet - Kenneth Jay Lane, Earrings - Ice.com, Bag - Kate Spade








"Don't you take that tone of voice with me young lady. As long as you live under my ocean, you'll obey my rules!" - Triton (to Ariel)



Dress - Matthew Eager, Shoes - Jimmy Choo, Necklace - Charm & Chain, Bracelet - Heavenly Treasures, Clutch - Cleobella










"Believe me, Grim, when I find the right girl, I'll know. Without a doubt, it'll just-BAM-hit me. Like lightning." - Prince Eric (as lightning flashes in the background)




Skirt - Clemens en August, Blouse - Dorothy Perkins, Shoes - Pour La Victoire, Earrings - Overstock.com, Necklace - Kendra Scott







"Flounder, don't be such a guppy." - Ariel
"I'm not a guppy." - Flounder


(It would have been way too obvious for the guys' outfit to be Triton or Eric.)

Jeans - Diesel, Shirt - American Eagle, Jacket - ORiSUE, Shoes - Raf

1 comment:

  1. I love your adaption of Eric. It's something I would have never thought of. I also love the color combinations for the male outfit.

    ReplyDelete